Wednesday 31 December 2014

Beetroot & Goats Cheese Baked Frittata

Hope you've all had a fabulous Christmas and are gearing up for an equally exciting new years! Wishing you all good health and happiness for 2015!

Although I'm meat and dairy free the majority of the time I'm not always particularly strict, especially at this time of year. I think it's important to be happy as well as healthy and sometimes limiting yourself can be dispiriting. So I like to embrace most things even if it's just once in a while! In this spirit I'd like to share with you this recipe for my Beetroot & Goats Cheese Baked Frittata... now although it's certainly not going to be winning any beauty contests it really is delicious and I'd love for you to give it a go. 


This is a really interesting dish. Seriously light and fluffy with a beautiful earthiness from the beets. Contrasted with the creamy and slightly tangy cheese it's delicious! 

For 4 servings you will need:

5 medium-sized Eggs
130ml Double Cream
2 large (fresh) Beetroots
1 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
125g Abergavenny Goats Cheese 
Mild Olive Oil for greasing
Salt and Pepper to season

Firstly set your oven to 200°c and grease a deep baking dish with olive oil.

Top and tail your beetroots. I usually reserve my beet tops for juicing or smoothies as they are full of goodness - they actually contain more Iron than spinach! I've included a juice recipe below if you fancy trying it! Peel the beets then grate into a bowl and set aside.

Crack the eggs into another large bowl. Whisk together well then add the cream, mustard and a good helping of salt and pepper. Mix together well before adding the grated beetroot. Combine then pour into the baking dish ensuring the beets are evenly distributed. The vibrant pink at this stage is fantastic!

Break up the goats cheese into pieces. It's a soft creamy cheese but does retain it's shape. Scatter the cheese over the frittata pushing pieces down so they are not protruding out too much. Grind over a little more black pepper then pop into the oven for 30-35 minutes. Easy peasy!


Once removed from the oven it should be risen and lightly browned all over. The texture is super light and fluffy! I served mine on a bed of rocket with a light drizzle of lemon juice plus some pickles, which are a great match to beetroot. 


This is a recipe for all seasons. I'd love to add in Spring Onions in the summer, or maybe a little Thyme or Rosemary for winter. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did... here's my juice recipe:

Juice Recipe (for 1 large glass): 

Beet Tops (Stalks and leaves) of 5 beetroots
1⁄4 of a Red Cabbage
4-5 small Carrots
3 large Oranges
1 Lemon
Small handful of Mint

Using a juicer throw the leaves, stalks and cabbage through first. Followed by the citrus... the juicier ingredients will carry through any residue and vital nutrients. Serve with ice and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. M husband would go totally gaga for this. I will have to try and remember to make it for him in the near future. Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete